≡ Menu

Infographic: Conflict in Project Management

Conflict in project management infographic

Infographic prepared for me by thegappartnership.com. Click the graphic to see a larger version.

6 comments… add one

• Geoff Crane 12/03/2012, 12:48 pm

I’m a sucker for infographics so naturally I love this! :-) There’s a ton of good points in here, but I think most of them can be addressed at the start of a project relatively efficiently. It’s kind of telling about the state of project management that respondents chose miscommunication and lack of direction as the top two items.

• Elizabeth 15/03/2012, 7:50 pm

I agree: communication is a huge issue on loads of projects, but however much you communicate you just know someone is going to say there wasn’t enough communication. Miscommunication is different from not enough, though. If you nip these causes in the bud early on in a project it could help, but I’m sure some of them will rise up again later on.

• Anonymous 13/03/2012, 6:49 am

Interesting infographic.  I’ve definitely experienced all of these at one point or another.  Usually a few all at once as they  are interrelated issues on projects that are not well managed.

• Elizabeth 15/03/2012, 7:49 pm

Managing a project well certainly cuts down on the conflict. I think when you experience several at the same time it must make the resolution part much harder! You would have to split out the causes and address each one individually.

• Furmanjeff 29/03/2012, 2:25 pm

Hi Elizabeth, that’s a very sharp InfoGraphic, easy to quickly interpret.  Like Geoff with a G, I like these a lot also.  I  recently started mentioning InfoGraphics in my PMP classes.
    Over here in the U.S., there’s a journalist named Charles M. Blow who is known for pioneering InfoGraphics on the OpEd page of the New York Times, where he frequently uses them to present data related to politics.  Your followers might like to see some of his InfoGraphics.

Since conflict management is part of the PMBOK, Andy Crowe has a diagram in his PMP prep book in his HR Chapter “A diagram showing the primary sources of conflict on a project” (p. 264).

• Elizabeth 30/03/2012, 11:51 am

Hi Jeff
      I don’t have a copy of Andy’s book, but that sounds interesting as a comparison to this infographic. I’ll try to look it up. Thanks for the tip!